Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Having re-read my great-grandfather's book, I may post portions of it here. This evening I give you the his opening lines which explain in short why I blog:

Some critic has said that the world is over-rich in the records of life's successes, that everybody knows the psychology of success, but that literature is actually in need of candid autobiographies of mediocrity. Satiated with the glare of bright colours, the reading public is eager for a drab literature. The tired ear longs for the droning monotone of Martin Tupper.

These reminiscences will appeal to tired minds alone. It is a journey through a flat country. There are plenty of resting-places, and the weary reader is not called upon to climb the hill of vision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that opening! Please post more. The book sounds like its for the 'rest of us' who won't ever be something 'spectacular' for God, but are just trying to get by.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kathy: post more for the "rest of us." Some of us are destined to be spectacular failures, while others are set to be spectacular successes. I think, to God, what matters most is what is seen only by Him, or by those to whom He has given eyes to see His grace in others and to encourage them and others through that recognizance.